Case Study. Developing Student Soft Skills with Emphasis on Intercultural Communication and Leadership Skills
Need identified: bridging the gap in soft skills development in higher education (HE)
Assignment: You work at the International Office of your university and you are responsible for further internationalisation and digitalisation of the university programs with view of improving the students’ employability prospects in a continuously globalised job market and in particular developing intercultural communication skills and leadership. You have several ideas along these lines. One of your priorities is to work with other Erasmus+ universities (using EU project funding) in order to multiply the effect and provide structured opportunities for work in international teams (students/lecturers/administration staff). You have to take into account collaboration with the business with view of better employability options for students.
Put down your ideas in bullet points.
Share your ideas with your colleagues in a brainstorming session. Then take a group decision, using a chosen decision-making method, e.g. DECIDE:
Define the problem
Establish the criteria
Consider all the alternatives
Identify the best alternative
Develop and implement a plan of action
Evaluate and monitor the solution
Finally compare your proposal with the practise-based example in the suggested answers.
HE policy implementation, intercultural communication, competence development across countries, leadership, soft skills, DECIDE decision-mak
- Students’ Survey – Intercultural Competences: Importance, Self-assessment and Instruments of Development, written by Stéphane Ganassali, IAE University Mont Blanc Savoie
- Survey on European Companies, written by Stéphane Ganassali, IAE University Mont Blanc Savoie
- Intercultural Competence, An Academic Perspective, written by Diana Miteva, Kristana Ivanova, Petar Petrov, University of Economics - Varna
Three Intensive Training Programmes for over 120 project partner university students from Europe, Africa, Northern and Southern America:
- Different Worlds, Different Languages: Getting to Grips with Cultural Diversity
- Managing and Leading in Different Cultures
- Practising Cultural and Business Intelligence across Cultures
Sustainability is ensured through more internationalization and collaboration:
- Dukenet Membership for University of Economics - Varna
Source for DECIDE decision-making tool:
- Kristina Guo, The Health Care Manager, April 2008, Vol 27/2, p.118-127